Match Report: Royston Town v Oxhey Jets

Date Tuesday 10 January 2012
Match Royston Town v Oxhey Jets
Competition Molten Spartan South Midlands Football League: Premier Division
Result Won 4-1
Royston Scorers Matt Standen, Robins(2), Martin Standen
Man of Match Luke Robins
Attendance 144

The Crows opened up a five point gap over nearest challengers Dunstable Town in a game devoid of quality football but with some terrific goals. With their most recent performances being of the highest quality this was a difficult night for The Crows as for some reason they struggled to pass the ball with their usual fluency and hence failed to get any decent control of the game. That is probably hard to believe looking at the final scoreline but the clinicalness in front of goal when chances did come around was pivotal and was the difference between the two sides on the night.

Paul Attfield lost Tom Malins to a knee injury suffered in Saturday's game so Luke Robins got a start in his place with the rest of the team unchanged.

The first half was very frustrating with Royston trying to stamp authority on the game but too many times letting themselves down with unforced poor passes. With Jets happy to pack the midfield and play with one lone striker they too struggled to breach a defence with three back to back clean sheets to their name and the opening period of the game was uneventful and frustrating from Royston's point of view.

With no worthwhile chances created The Crows were to open the scoring from nothing with their first clear effort at goal on 25 minutes. Jack Bradshaw picked up a loose ball on the left and drilled a good ball into the box which fell nicely for Matt Standen who beat the keeper to the ball and shot into the net from 12 yards. Three minutes later the lead was doubled when a ball was deflected into the path of Luke Robins who raced into the area and angled a low drive across the keeper and into the far corner.

The two goal cushion was taken into the interval but whilst the hosts tried to up their game the continuing number of unforced errors couldn't be erased from their game. The few times they did manage to put together some decent movement of the ball chances were created. Ryan Lockett and Matt Standen fired inches over and wide respectively and Jason Beck headed Lockett's corner just over the top. It was from a set play The Crows added a third goal on 57 minutes. Again Ryan Lockett whipped in a near post corner with Luke Robins sending a bullet header high into the net at the near post.

The visitors began to look more lively as the game wore on showing more attacking intentions and after a sustained period of pressure, without creating clear chances, they were awarded a penalty with 20 minutes remaining after Jason Beck brought down a forward with the resultant spot-kick sending Will Norris the wrong way. Jets won more corners and had good ball in Royston's half but lacked a cutting edge and never really looked like getting back into the contest.

At the other end Luke Robins was unlucky not to gain a personal hat trick with one volleyed chance off target and another close range effort just going into the side netting before he set up the final goal late on delivering a whipped in free kick that substitute Martin Standen met with a thumping header from ten yards giving the keeper no chance.
So four league wins on the bounce for Paul Attfield's side since Christmas, whilst this scoreline may have slightly flattering the main objective of gaining three points was achieved. With a tough trip to Colney Heath coming up on Saturday the quality shown on the ball in most recent games will need to be replicated in that fixture

Team: Norris, Endacott, Bradshaw, McGrandles, Beck, Collins, Edwards (Martin Standen), Lockett (Clemo), Matt Standen, K. Fehmi (Young), Robins Unused: Lawrence, A. Fehmi