WHO ARE YA! Barwell FC profile
The 2018/19 season draws to a close this Saturday at Garden Walk as we entertain Barwell FC. So, ahead of our final game of the season we take a closer look at our visitors from Leicestershire…
- The club was formed in 1992 following a merger of Hinckley FC and Barwell Athletic.
- The new club took Hinckley’s place in the Midland Combination
- The club is nicknamed the Canaries.
- In 1994 Barwell were founder members of the Midland Alliance.
- Barwell reached the last sixteen of the FA Vase in 1995/6 losing 3-1 away at Flixon.
- In the 2009-10 season Barwell won the Midland Alliance and were promoted to Division One South of the Northern Premier League.
- Also, in 2009/10 they reached the semi-final of the FA Vase narrowly losing out to eventual winners Whitley Bay.
- In 2010-11, their first season in the div 1 of the Northern Premier League, saw them win the title, and earn promotion to step three of the National League System.
- However, instead of playing in the Northern Premier League’s Premier Division, the club were moved to the Premier Division of the Southern League.
- Just two seasons later, they were transferred back to the Northern Premier League.
- In 2015–16 Barwell reached the first round of the FA Cup for the first time, losing 2–0 at home to Welling United
- The club were transferred to the Premier Central Division of the Southern League at the end of the 2017–18 season as part of the restructuring of the non-League pyramid.