Youth Match Report: U13 Colts v Huntingdon Town Rowdies C&DCL League Cup 111112



Sunday 11th November 2012


Royston Town Youth Colts v Huntingdon Rowdies


Cambridge & District Colts League U13 League Cup


Won 7-1

Royston Scorers

Mick 2, Jordan 2, Keiran, Olly, Lewis

Man of Match

Keiran (Assured performance from a quality player)

Team – George, Joe, Jonah, Tommy, Olly, Callum, Jake, Jordan, Mick, Keiran, Lewis, Adam.


It was cup week this week and we welcomed Huntingdon Town Rowdies to the Heath on a beautiful autumn morning. We had played Huntingdon away in the league in October and had emerged 6-2 winners in a fragmented match on their big pitch so we were looking forward to playing them at home.


We were missing Kyle today so asked Tom T to slot in at centre-back and we asked them to be patient, play their own brand of football and to try and get some early efforts on target in.


Both teams respectfully observed two minutes silence in remembrance of those who have given their lives for us.


The Colts started with some good wide work early on and forced an early corner. Mick put a lob shot onto the top of the bar. The boys briefly lost their shape at the back and were caught short-handed as a good long pass found the Huntingdon striker who finished well to take the lead after 6 minutes. 0-1. We asked Keiran to drop into centre-back which he did with his usual confidence and they kicked off again. Callum won the ball well and set up Mick whose shot went across the keeper and the goal. Undeterred Mick got us even with a great turn and powerful shot that dipped just under the bar. 1-1. Adam was doing good work wide left and got on the end of a Mick flick and sent a good left foot shot just wide. Jordan picked up the ball and sped forward up the right cutting a lovely pass back for Mick to slot home low left. 2-1. The boys were now in their stride and had brushed aside going a goal down. Jonah and Joe were tackling and tracking back well and Olly had picked up where he was from last week and was looking solid alongside Keiran. George was called into action and he made a tremendous save blocking well from a powerful header that had come through a crowd of players and from this save the Colts broke away with Mick pushing on seeing his low shot saved well but Jordan followed up and tapped firmly home.3-1. Lewis was now on and doing some great running winning a corner when all seemed lost and Adam had another shot saved by the busy and good Huntingdon keeper. On the half hour mark Mick was hacked down (again) and the ref played a good advantage seeing the alert Lewis running on and confidently lobbing the advancing keeper for his first goal since returning to the squad. 4-1. Keiran stepped up for a penalty when Adam had been fouled after making another surging run into the box and slotted home low left giving the keeper no chance.  Half time 5-1.


The boys had reacted brilliantly to going one down and were completely in control of this cup-tie. We took the opportunity to change a few personnel and positions and sent them out again.


The change in positions had an effect but Andy, Keith and I left them to solve the problem themselves and they were all called upon to absorb a bit of Huntingdon pressure before they regrouped and got the attacks going again. A top quality pass by Keiran was collected by Mick but his shot was saved well and Jordan’s follow up shot was kept out by an even better full stretch dive and save. Ten minutes in a beautifully delivered Keiran free-kick was met by Olly’s head and the ball sailed into the net. 6-1. A great team passing move from Jonah to Jordan to Tommy whose shot went just wide and a superb through pass from Tommy sent Mick away but his shot also went wide. Callum was in goal now giving George a run out on pitch and he was called into making two good dives at the feet of the Rowdies’ strikers which he did bravely collecting the ball cleanly both times. The scoring was completed when Jordan got his second heading home a deep Mick cross. 7-1. The Royston boys ended the game playing some fantastic chance creating football but there was no more score.


Quarter-Finals here we come!!